Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Fat Tuesday

No, I'm not blogging from Mardi Gras. I'm blogging from my living room but I do love NOLA.  I've been just a few times but every time I go it's always a party.

I'm still mad at myself for not buying those glasses that day!
Actually, I have also been to the birthplace of Mardi Gras too many times to count and that is Mobile, Alabama. I know there is still some debate but I was convinced after vising the Mobile Carnival Museum. I was lost in a world of parades, masquerade balls, beads and commissioned Vera Wang gowns. If you ever get a chance to visit, it's a must!

Here's my little Mardi Gras inspiration board based on my own personal travels to both cities!

Top Row: View from the Bourbon Orleans Hotel in the French Quarter, A street vendor selling "Huge Ass Beers To Go!" #onlyinNOLA

Second Row: Me excited to be in NOLA on our balcony, Statue of Andrew Jackson in the center of Jackson Square, One of the amazing Mardi Gras gowns worn in the Mobile Parades on display at the Mobile Carnival Museum

Third Row: The Vera Wang commissioned gown on display at the Mobile Carnival Museum, Display of several parade umbrellas used in the Mobile Parades.

Forth Row: King Cake recipe found here,  Chicken and Shrimp Jambalaya recipe found here

Fifth Row: Green stands for Faith, Gold stands for Power, and Purple stands for Justice. Color swatches via www.art-paints.com

Hey Maybe I could redesign that Mardi Gras spirit into a fun Fat Tuesday party invitation.  I'd definitely include the famous colors of purple, gold and green. I would make sure to use a Carnival inspired font and would play up the fun, party atmosphere in my design layout.



Well I'm giving up sweets for Lent so I better go and eat as much King Cake and Girl Scout Cookies I can find to hold me over for the next 40 days!  Laissez les bon temps rouler!

No comments: